Fall is here! In addition to dreaming about warm drinks and cozy blankets, it’s also the perfect time to be intentional about boosting one’s immune system — which only gets more important as we get older. There are the usual proactive steps such as getting a flu vaccination, washing hands thoroughly, taking recommended vitamins, and scheduling an annual wellness visit. But for seniors, there’s more to staying healthy than avoiding sickness and making good medical decisions.
"The core to healthy aging is continuing to place value on nurturing the mind, body, and spirit," explains Nicole Lord, a nurse practitioner at EmpowerMe Wellness. “By staying physically, mentally, relationally, and emotionally active, seniors can boost their overall health and better fight potential illness.”
What does pursuing holistic health look like in our 60s, 70s, and beyond? Here’s a guide for building a holistic health plan to fit any lifestyle.
Make a Plan:
Consider the categories below and plan the week to include activities in each category.
- Fitness Programs: Whether it’s a group fitness class or an evening stroll, find a way to be physically active.
- Healthy Meals: Plan low-fat meals that include a variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as multiple sources of calcium. And, as always, drink plenty of water!
- Socialization: Call up a friend for a visit or a walk. Take it a step further and build your social network through local classes, groups, or events.
- Education Workshops: Check out your local library for upcoming free lectures or classes. You may even find some great online education options.
- Volunteer Opportunities: You have so much to give! Find a way to give back that utilizes your skills and interests – mentoring young professionals, tutoring children, knitting warming caps for newborns. The opportunities are endless!
Activities in the categories above are generally included in the regular programming of senior living communities. Connect with community staff about the upcoming calendar of events and stay informed about what activities are available. Keep an open mind and be willing to try new things.
Not living in a senior living community? As you consider potential senior living community options, be sure to ask about what types of programming are available and how often they happen. A holistic integrated approach to wellness, like those offered by EmpowerMe Wellness partners, is an important way to stay healthy and maintain independence.
In addition to integrated healthcare services like therapy, lab testing, and pharmacy, EmpowerMe Wellness offers a wide array of wellness programming at the senior living communities we serve. To learn more, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.